Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here on Monday and Tuesday. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair.

"ONLY ONE THING IS MORE FRIGHTENING THAN SPEAKING YOUR TRUTH, AND THAT IS NOT SPEAKING IT." Naomi Wolf

"We are called human beings, not human doings."
Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

"The way to do is to be."
Laotzu

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs..(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly."
Theodore Roosevelt


Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Michael Jackson

Last Friday I couldn't write. Nothing was happening. I'd stare at the blank piece of paper. I'd turn on the computer. I'd read a few blogs. Write a post for Friday. But nada as far as the new project went. I tuned in to inner wisdom and felt an urge to go see "This is It," the Michael Jackson documentary about the preparation for his final concert tour.

Just then the phone rang. The metaphysical bookstore where I am to give a talk in December needed more copies of the flyer. It's located not too far from the theater. Okay, then. Off I went to drop off the flyers and catch the flick.

Now, I have to say I'm not a huge Michael Jackson fan. I guess I was around 20 when he was 10 and singing "I'll be There" and "ABC" and all of those Jackson Five hits. He was adorable. I lost track of his music after "Billy Jean and Thriller and Beat It" all of which still make me get up and dance. Absolutely can't sit still when those tunes come on.

As for his personal life, I see it as tragic. Being a victim of childhood abuse myself, I can see where that might be part of the problem. His being a child star and having no childhood would just add to that. Having to live life in the limelight put more fuel on this particular fire.

But whether you admire and like Michael Jackson as a performer, whether you despise him personally, whether you empathize or vilify him, he was one of the most creative, innovative entertainers we've ever had. This film epitomizes that aspect of Michael's life. You get to see him in rehearsal, with other dancers and singers, the consummate artist. Frankly, it was mesmerizing. I found myself alternating between dancing in my seat, silently singing along, and being moved to tears when there was a tribute to the Jackson Five era and he sang "I'll be There" with him as a little boy in the background.

It was a tragedy to lose such a talent when he was poised to bring a dynamic concert to the world. I was filled with sadness for what will now never be. The take away lesson for me: Live each day to its fullest, because ya just don't know what's around the corner.

Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Joanne said...

I was never a big mj fan either, but after seeing clips of his final rehearsals, I must say I'm seeing him in a different light. His focus and intensity on that stage really show a necessary essence in the creation of his art. I definitely would like to see the movie as well now.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Sounds like a great film. I like the songs you mentioned, too, although I'm definitely not a Michael Jackson fan. Great dance music, though! And I love seeing performers and artists who are really driven...I find it so inspiring.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

It seems like many of the great talents die before their time, Elvis, John Lennon, Janis Joplin to name a few. Makes you wonder if too much talent is a curse rather than a blessing.

Helen Ginger said...

When I was younger, I loved MJ's music and sang along with it. I have no idea if he was guilty of the things he was accused of, but since I don't know, it's not my place to judge him. No matter what, he was an amazing talent. I still love the Thriller video.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

As with any individual, there were so many facets to Michael Jackson - the person and the performer. Whatever may or may not have been the case with the person, he was a consummate performer.

Your point about appreciating every day and every moment is so true. Too often we find ourselves being caught up in the complexities and drama of life that we forget to really appreciate the moment. We need to stop and realize that even if it's a bad moment, at least we're experiencing it!

As you said, we don't know what lies ahead. There may not be a tomorrow to fret over whatever we might me dwelling on today. Thank you for such an important reminder.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

I've heard this movie is spectacular from a few people now. I shall try and drag myself to see it. His life may have been short but what a legacy he has left behind him! Not too shabby.

Elspeth

L. Diane Wolfe said...

As you said, fame has its price...

The Old Silly said...

"The take away lesson for me: Live each day to its fullest, because ya just don't know what's around the corner."

I'd say you learned that lesson quite well. We have similar emotions/thoughts about MJ. I did a whole memorial post on his passing some time ago. Wish he'd have found his true self in this life, and I pray he's found it now in the afterlife.

Marvin D Wilson

Tabitha Bird said...

Great post Karen. Yes, I agree. Live each day to the fullest :)

Shelby said...

Very well put. I was not a fan either, but talented he was. Sad life.

So enjoyed visiting your blog this evening.. cheers :)

Cyndi said...

I was a fan until all the weirdness, specifically allegations of child molestation. I later came to believe that he really was still a child himself and probably didn't do anything to those kids. As a parent, if my sons were harmed by any other adult, I would not settle for $$ to keep my mouth shut. I would want him behind bars. I was shocked and saddened by his death and am looking forward to the movie.

Anonymous said...

So often this is the case: With great fame comes a short life. You writers out there, fix this statement to make it say what I want it to say, okay? Thanks.

-Simona


View My Stats